Chef Andy’s Roasted Rib of Beef
In response to a FooDiva Friend’s request for a rib of beef recipe, I’d like to share Chef Andy’s recommendation. Here goes…by the way if you’re planning a home event in the U.A.E and would love to hire your very own personal chef, Andy is available:
T: +971 (0) 50 394 8361 www.chefandycampbell.com
Roasted Rib of Beef (serves 6- 8 people)
With this recipe you don’t need to seal the beef before in a pan as the hot oven will do this for you. The most important tips are to bring the beef to room temperature before cooking and once cooked to allow the beef to rest for 20 minutes to 1 hour before carving so keep in a warm place. The fat can be used for Yorkshire puddings or roast potatoes and the meat juices made into gravy.
3 Rib roast of beef on the bone approx 2.7kg
1 tbs mustard powder
1 tbs flour
Salt and black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 475f/ 240c/mark 9.
2. Combine the mustard powder with the flour. Season well and roll the beef in the mixture.
3. Roast for 20 minutes on a high heat then reduce the oven to 375f/190c/ Gas 5.
15mins per 450g for rare
30 mins per 450g for medium rare
45 mins per 450g for well done
Baste with its juices every 20 minutes.
4. Allow to rest for a minimum of 20 mins – 1 hour.
5. Roast par boiled potatoes in the strained fat.
6. Make a gravy by first adding a tablespoon of flour on a low heat, stirring until silky.
7. Deglaze the pan with a 175ml glass of red wine and reduce the wine by half its volume.
8. Then stir in ¾ litre of meat stock, cook till it thickens, taste, then adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.