A new chef for hire website, plus a round-up of private chefs and caterers in Dubai
When I first started FooDiva all of four years ago, I also had another idea – an online community showcasing chefs for hire. Since then, a week does not go by when I am asked to recommend a private chef or boutique caterer, and we have so many in Dubai now. Well someone beat me to it – meet ChefXChange – a website that spotlights chefs who can cook for you at home taking care of the menu development, grocery shopping and of course cooking, and even washing up! These are not just private chefs for hire, but restaurant chefs are on their books too – covering all different cuisines, whether it’s a special dinner party, an informal soirée, or even weekly meals. What I love about at-home entertaining is the cost saving in alcohol, avoiding the premium prices Dubai hotels and restaurants demand. Dubai aside, ChefXChange’s reach extends to London, Geneva and Washington DC.
But back to our home town, there are many personal chefs and independent caterers in Dubai, with some covering other emirates, so I have updated an ancient post to bring you a new round-up of these folks in town. Voilà…
Chefs for hire:
- Chef Tomas – he hails from the Czech Republic and his cuisine is hugely multi-cultural using locally sourced produce as much as possible.
- Maurizio Pelli – calls himself an Italian gourmand rather than a chef, and will pull together a multi-course Italian feast – either fish or meat. No website. M: +971 50 4282289.
- Chef Andy – loves cooking good British grub, with a knack for incorporating locally sourced ingredients.
A few more who I’ve not tried and tasted, but do come recommended:
- Chef Greg – one half of the duo behind gourmet online grocer Chez Charles.
- The model-turned-chef Paul Frangie – no harm having eye candy in the kitchen ;).
- Chef Hadrien aka JunkFoodMan on Instagram – not quite sure if the nickname transcends to the cuisine.
- Chef Gus – of Gustronomy.
- Cena Dining – a newly launched private dining service.
- Yes Chef – run by ex-hoteliers offering a number of catering options from set menus and canapés, to buffets and barbeques.
- Elements Catering – from canapés to big bites and bowls, right through to sit-down dinners.
- Dish – catering to anything from 20 to 700 guests including canapés, barbeques and sit-down meals.
- Ghaf Kitchen – the much-beloved, retro Citroen van that can be hired to cater for dinner parties or private events. Cuisine tends to be Brit-influenced seasonal fare as you can see from a FooDiva review here.
- Marta’s Kitchen – helmed by Spanish chef Marta Yanci providing bespoke catering from home-made dishes to innovative gastronomy, whether canapés, tapas, buffet menus, or sit-down dinners.
- Top Chef – the well-known Jumeirah cooking school now dishes out chefs for hire too.
- Lafayette Gourmet – the Dubai Mall franchise of the famed French food emporium caters to anything from a formal dinner party, casual gathering and corporate lunch, to a cocktail reception, sit-down wedding dinner, and buffet with interactive cooking stations.
And finally if you’re after canapés, finger food, a buffet spread or just hot home-cooked meals delivered to your doorstep here’s a trio to choose from:
Any more recommendations? Happy eating and entertaining 🙂