Chef Maurizio’s ‘Cena di pesce’…
Dubai, October 19th, 2010: I am still reeling from Thursday’s ten-course dinner at Chefaholic Maurizio’s villa, so whilst each course still remains ingrained in my memory, I’d like to share the sumptious Italian fish menu. And yes Maurizio is Italian, and incredibly foodie patriotic – he will defend his country’s traditional dishes right down to the last drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. So here is the ‘cena di pesce’ menu (in Italiano of course, with FooDiva’s best English translation):
1. Carpaccio di salmone fresco, di gamberoni selvaggi tigre con rucola e pepe rosa – fresh salmon and tiger prawn carpaccio with wild rocket and red pepper
2. Tartare di salmone con finocchio, sedano e melograno – salmon tartar with fennel, celery and pomegranate
3. Gratin di ostriche, cozze, gamberi e sardine – gratin of oysters, mussels, shrimps and sardines
4. Zuppetta di cozze con crostone di pane all’olio extravergine di oliva taggiasca – mussel soup with toasted bread and extra virgin olive Taggiasca
5. Spaghetti alle vongole veraci spolvetari con bottarga di muggine – spaghetti with clams and sprinkled with mullet roe
6. Tagliolini al nero di seppia con zucchine e scampi – black squid ink tagliolini pasta with zucchini and shrimp
7. Sorbetto al limone con vodka – lemon and vodka sorbet
8. Branzino in crosta di sale con finocchi e fagiolini al vapore – sea bass in salt crust with steamed fennel green beans
9. Orata all’acqua pazza con insalata di rucola e pomodorini – sea bream in white wine with arugula salad and cherry tomatoes
10. Fragole al porto con foglioline di menta piperita – fresh strawberries marinated in port and infused with mint leaves
Now you’re probably wondering how on earth we managed to digest all this food, well it’s called ‘portion control’. Whilst we did indeed feast on ten courses, the portions were reasonable and well spaced out. I’ll certainly be back, that’s if I get another invite.
By the way, Chef Maurizio is available to cook for private functions – book him and you will certainly impress!
A bientot. FooDiva. x